1536 Shares

Symptoms of allergy to copper IUD?

Symptoms of allergy to copper IUD? Topic: Symptoms of allergy to copper IUD?
July 20, 2019 / By Carlota
Question: I just recently had a copper IUD inserted. I hadn't thought about it before, but I've had reactions to cheap jewelry in the past. I can't seem to find a webpage that tells you the SYMPTOMS that might indicate allergic reaction. Does anyone know/know of a website? Please don't send me to IUD websites, they talk about possible allergic reaction but don't say the symptoms. I should add that I'm not currently experiencing any symptoms. I'm just wondering what to watch for?
Best Answer

Best Answers: Symptoms of allergy to copper IUD?

Aneta Aneta | 3 days ago
Here you have a case study of such an allergy including symptoms: The article documents a clinical case involving allergy to the copper IUD. A 28-eight year old woman, with a normal family medical history, received a copper-medicated IUD (MLCu250) in March 1985, that initially was well tolerated both gynecologically and psychologically. After approximately 2 months, palpebral and perioral edema occurred that regressed following antihistamine treatment. After 5-6 months, erythema and an intense itching along with pruriginous symptoms spreading all over her body occurred at menstruation time. These symptoms responded to antihistamine and cortisone, but reappeared after discontinued treatment. The patient received the patch test revealing a pronounced positivity to copper sulphate. Other clinical tests revealed that cupremia during the acute phases was 110g/100 ml. (fully within the normal limits). A direct allergic, but nontoxic connection to the presence of IUD was established. Numerous studies have revealed that the copper contained in IUD is liberated in the uterine cavity in the form of ions and it is hypothesized during menstruation released into the blood stream, which is supported by the fact that allergic episodes were verified during menstrual bleeding. However, skin complications could also be the result of absorption and diffusion of plasmatic proteins in the blood stream whose molecular configurations are altered in the endometrium as a result of the copper ions, thus causing allergic reactions. Allergies should be considered a possibility with the IUD, but it is not advised to perform allergometric tests in all patients who receive one. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query... Mor about symptoms: When to call your health professional When using an IUD, be aware of warning signs of a more serious problem related to the IUD. Call your health professional immediately if you have any of the following symptoms. Remember the word "PAINS." Each letter stands for a word associated with a problem: Period is late with a copper IUD, or you have abnormal spotting or severe bleeding. Abdominal pain, severe cramping, or abdominal pain with sexual intercourse Infection with or exposure to a sexually transmitted disease (STD) or symptoms of a vaginal infection, such as abnormal vaginal discharge Not feeling well or having a fever of 100.4°F (38°C) or higher Strings from IUD are missing or are longer or shorter than normal http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/Intra... I can find for you many more sites that deal with symptoms but I guess this might be enough?
👍 154 | 👎 3
Did you like the answer? Symptoms of allergy to copper IUD? Share with your friends
Aneta Originally Answered: Copper and Soldering Technology question?
never "dunk" the copper pipe into water,let it air cool. When you "dunk" it you shock the 400 degree solder and crack the solder joint bad bad bad that's when they blow out. Im a licensed plumber pipefitter and welder, I have seen what happens when hack plumbers do this and you air test or hydro test a system for inspection. Unless you want pin hole leaks after a few days or just a cataclysmic blow out don't dunk it. A nice and easy way to clean the black burnt flux like the other persons talking about is not to burn the joint your heating it up too much, if you have burnt flux on the outside of the pipe i can guarantee u have a flux pocket at least the size of a pencil eraser inside the cup. Wipe your joint with your gloves when its still hot. AND DO NOT DUNK IT

Wilbur Wilbur
For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/7oBhP I don't know but I'm having some of those kind of symptoms too and am thinking I'll have to get mine removed too... I've only just had it for a few months but I've been spotting ever since I got it. And my skin is so itchy too. My hands are dry and cracking and that's new to me? I've never experience such dry skin. I've been getting pretty dizzy a lot too... I was actually concerned that I may have been pregnant but I'm not. If it was/is an allergy I'd imagine it'll take a bit of time for your body to adjust and expell extra copper. I heard Zinc can help balance excessive copper but who knows eh?
👍 60 | 👎 -4

Sanford Sanford
This Site Might Help You. RE: Symptoms of allergy to copper IUD? I just recently had a copper IUD inserted. I hadn't thought about it before, but I've had reactions to cheap jewelry in the past. I can't seem to find a webpage that tells you the SYMPTOMS that might indicate allergic reaction. Does anyone know/know of a website? Please don't...
👍 58 | 👎 -11

Nat Nat
h-m-m-m I doubt its an allergy to the IUD itself. But I could be wrong! I am thinking it might be soap or scented toilet paper or scented tampons. It sounds like you have an allergic reaction to nickle...me too! But I can't use anything scented either. Its just a thought. Try not to use scented soap "down there" and use unscented lotion on your vaginal regions...every single day. people that react to nickle and scented stuff don't do well with wool either... we have contact dermatitis... but I had an IUD for forever and it never bothered me. I hope you figure it out easily...you could have vaginititis or the start of a bacterial infection (fishy smelling) or even yeast! good luck ! and I am really interested in finding out what you might be plagued with ! :(
👍 56 | 👎 -18

Kermit Kermit
I believe that you are SUPPOSED to have a mild reaction to the copper. This low grade infection is what causes the cervix and phallopian tubes to close up and become useless until it is removed. Then again, you should probably just ask a gynocologist.
👍 54 | 👎 -25

Kermit Originally Answered: Severe allergy to shellfish?
I agree with consulting your doctor about the use of an epi pen, but, as a personal chef--believe me when I tell you that you aren't paranoid about your situation. Cross contamination can happen long before you eat your meal in a restaurant--all it takes is for a food handler to mix something in a container that had shell fish residue in it--or use tongs that mixed Shrimp Salad to mix your tossed salad. Or to turn your steak with tongs that turned a shrimp kabob, or to wipe their hands on their towel after cleaning oysters, and then to slice tomatoes for your garden salad, etc. etc. So, telling a manager or server will not help the situation much. If you are dangerously allergic to shellfish, you are pretty limited in your choices when you go out--so do your homework in advance--find out what restaurants serve a menu that contains no shellfish, shellfish broth or any other product pertaining to shellfish. Make your friends aware of your situation--if they ARE friends, they would not want you to be in a harmful situation and will understand your concerns. How do I know this? Because I have food allergies that can be fatal and have learned the hard way--thank goodness for epi pens. Obviously avoidance is best but that doesn't mean that your life should come to a standstill--don't let yourself become a victim to your allergies. In my case, I cook some of the things for my clients that I'm allergic to, fortunately--I can have my sous chef or the client taste the items to make sure they are up to our standards. It's when I go out that I have to be careful--because one of my foods is fresh strawberries and here in Florida, they are used a lot in tropical drinks, dishes and as garnish. So, I have to worry about that--even the juice touching my plate can set me off--so no salad bars, no places that serve strawberry margaritas or daiquiries--or have stawberry cheesecake, you get the picture. Green beans are another one so I really have to do a dance where they are concerned. But, I live a normal life--I don't freak out--I just do my homework and make sure in advance that the restaurant, home, etc. that I go to doesn't have these things--and I tend to go to the same places over and over again that I have had no problems with. My friends and family are very supportive--because they have seen me in the emergency room, so just take care of yourself-- have a good time and don't let this rule your life! Good luck!!

If you have your own answer to the question Symptoms of allergy to copper IUD?, then you can write your own version, using the form below for an extended answer.