Topic: How Do I Write An EXCELLENT Article?
June 20, 2019 / By Deniece Question:
that is the topic i want to write my article on.
where do i start? how do i make it fun to read?
what should be added?
i need to get an 85+ mark on this article so please help me! :)
Calla | 4 days ago
It looks like you're trying to write a features article, so here's a few tips on how to improve your style:
Top tips for writing feature articles
A feature story differs from a straight news story in one respect – its intent. A news story provides
information about an event, idea or situation. The feature does a bit more – it may also interpret
news, add dept h and colour to a story, instruct or entertain.
· The introduction is the most important part - entice your reader, hook them in. Use
drama, emotion, quotations, questions, descriptions
· The body of the article needs to keep any promises or answe r any questions raised in
the introduction - try and maintain an "atmosphere" throughout the writing
· While the introduction draws the reader in, the conclusion should be written to help the
reader remember the story - use a strong punchline
Some points to keep in mind:
· Focus on human interest - the feel and emotion you put into the article are critical. Don't
think about writing a "science" story - think about writing a "human interest" story.
· Be clear about why you are writing the article. Is it to inform, persuade, observe,
evaluate, or evoke emotion?
· Write in the active voice. In active writing, people do things. Passive sentences often
have the person doing the action at the end of the sentence or things being done “by”
· Accuracy is important - you can interpret and embroider but not fudge.
· Keep your audience clearly in mind - what are their desires, what really matters to them?
· Avoid clichés (cutting edge, world beating, revolutionary ) and sentimental statements -
especially at the end of your article.
· Interviews for features usually need to be in-depth and in person rather than over the
phone - this enables you to add in colour and detail.
· Use anecdotes and direct quotes to tell the story - try not to use too many of your own
· Talk to more than one person to provide a more complete picture – but don’t just add in
sources to show how much work you’ve done. Be ruthless about who you put in and who
you leave out!
· Don't rely on the computer spell-checker - especially those with a U.S. dictionary.
· Decide on the ‘tense' of your story at the start and stick to it. Present tense usually works
· Avoid lengthy, complex paragraphs. Your article will appear in columns, so one or two
sentences equals a paragraph.
· Ideas come from everywhere - watch, read, listen, keep up to date, take notes. Talk to
people outside the field of science to find out what interests and concerns them.
Getting your feature articles published
· READ the publication you want to write for (a surprising number of writers don’t and it
· Give a proposal rather than full article
· Include good examples of your previously published work
· Write what the editor wants to publish, not what you want to write. How do you find out?
Study the editorial and staff writers' pieces - they are aimed precisely at the publication's
· Select your market - list six magazines that could buy your article and study them. The
articles, advertising and letters to the editor will give vital clues to the interests and
demographics of the audience
· A picture sells the story - offer good quality images as prints, transparencies or digital
files. Check with the editor for the preferred option
· Obtain a style sheet for the publication
· Submit your story typed and double-spaced.
· Let the relevant person (editor/deputy editor) in the print media outlet know you are
sending them an article. Follow this up with a phone call a week or so later
· Send your article to only one print media outlet initially. If they don't want to use it within a
set time period, send it elsewhere.
It honestly is.And leaves me much extra dumbfounded as to how the main appropriate wing is attempting accountable Obama for the financial mess have been in.Such delusions do no longer come quite - and that they are additionally the reason we probable won't get this mess wiped sparkling up because of the fact of all the obstructions they positioned int the way in order that "Obama" can no longer take any credit for it. they had somewhat see the country proceed to say no till now they're going to admit to that however -which to me could be seen terrorist interest of their section.
Use thi online tool to analyze text (base keywords), check it out: